Full stack web developer, passionate and pragmatic about solving problems with code. Self-motivated learner with a proven ability to quickly pick up new skills and technologies. Effectively drives projects from conception to completion. Strong communicator with a track record of thriving in fluid, fast-paced environments.
TECHNICAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Frameworks: Ruby on Rails, Ember.js, Node.js / Express
Databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB
Tools: RSpec, jQuery, AJAX, HTML, CSS, Git
WEB DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS
Lacquer Love&Lend: A Rails App for lovers of nail polish to catalog and share lacquer collections
- Built a friendship model and loan system to track state and manage transactions between users.
- Implemented a fuzzy search algorithm to match user search terms with closest matches from the database.
- Employed AJAX to provide live notifications for real-time user interaction.
Neighborhood Buzz: A Rails app for exploring New York neighborhoods to move to
- Integrated multiple APIs to collect information about apartments, restaurants, and commute times.
- Created an algorithm to provide neighborhood recommendations based on user preferences and behaviors.
Clipboard: A Rails app that allows teachers to organize and harness classroom data
- Architected a robust schema to map the complexities of teachers’ schedules and activities.
- Crafted an algorithm to group students and assign seats intelligently based on social and academic needs.
CommNews: A Rails app that graphs economic trends and matches data with relevant news stories
- Integrated the New York Times API to match data points with relevant news stories.
Senior Web Development InstructorJan. 2015 – Present
The Flatiron SchoolNew York, NY
- Develop labs and tutorials, lead lab reviews and lectures, assist students with problem-solving and debugging, coach groups through developing their first applications.
- Built a web app to automate student blog scheduling and aggregate posts into a searchable magazine.
Education CoordinatorOct. 2012 – Aug. 2014
Carrera Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention ProgramNew York, NY
- Developed curriculum and oversaw implementation of all academic enrichment and remediation activities.
- Created and updated individual academic plans; tracked and promoted student growth through data analysis.
Teacher (Elementary & Middle School)Sept. 2005 – June 2012
NYC Department of EducationNew York, NY
- Mentored new teachers and led a department-wide transition to a new teaching methodology.
- Integrated classroom computers and SMART technology to enhance teaching and assessment practices.
- Piloted spreadsheet-based system for collecting and analyzing student data on Common Core learning targets.
EDUCATION & HONORS
Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Using Python, MITx Apr. 2014
Certificate of Achievement earned with grade 99/100
M.S., Education, NYC Teaching Fellows – Queens College, Queens, NY Sept. 2007
B.A., Sociology, Barnard College – Columbia University, New York, NY May 2004
Phi Beta Kappa, Summa Cum Laude, Departmental Honors